Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Photography Question? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ReinMan

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:44 am   Reply with quote         

as mentioned: Digital Zoom does NOTHING better than taking the same shot as your optical lense and then CROPPING into the image to make it look closer. But ALL THE PIXEL SHITE and NOISE and Somewhat Out of Focus Bits gets enlarged as well. You get a LARGE BLURRY FUZZY FITZY shot that YOU CAN'T CHOOSE THE CROP OF!

Most Canon's allow you to turn OFF the digital zoom. I suggest you RUN to your camera and turn it OFF NOW!

And, as mentioned, the type of camera you have (a non-digital SLR) does NOT like anything much above ISO 200. It will kind of do okay with ISO 400 but even there you'll start seeing weird multi-coloured grain in the image. (you can buy excellent software for this; I use Noise Ninja - but for now just set your camera at ISO 100 or 200 and leave it at that.

Also - do NOT take pictures of cute dogs EVER AGAIN!!! The world already has FAR TOO MANY cue dog PHOTOS and will never require a new one. Wink

Also, no matter what the camera, if you are shooting in anything but bright light GET A TRIPOD and use the SELF-TIMER to set off the camera so your ENTHUSIASTIC FINGER JABBING doesn't jiggle the camera. You'll find a very simple cheap tripod a VERY GOOD FRIEND over the years.

Good Luck - hope you have lots of fun learning about this stuff - it can be VERY FULFILLING!! Very Happy

thbeghin

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:20 am   Reply with quote         

Just like Reinman said: FORGET the cute zoom and the digital dog !!!

supak0ma

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:34 am   Reply with quote         

also, if you're serious about this, get a serious camera, the new Nikon i suggest the D40 is great to start.

L@rue

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:01 am   Reply with quote         

Just use a tripod, could be help you
because zoom utility needs more attention on stability when you take the shot
or an other solution could be that you turn the speed shot on extra FAST mode

Just my 2cent ideas

L@rue

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:23 am   Reply with quote         

Here one shot I took 2 years ago, the distance bettween me and the bird house = 10 0r 12 meters
full zoom open, tripod and top speed shot setting
I know it is not a professional result but hey I have a cheap Cam (Sony CyberShot)
325$

L@rue

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:45 am   Reply with quote         

Another pic Smile Babys birds waiting for lunch

cherylm329

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:00 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
as mentioned: Digital Zoom does NOTHING better than taking the same shot as your optical lense and then CROPPING into the image to make it look closer. But ALL THE PIXEL SHITE and NOISE and Somewhat Out of Focus Bits gets enlarged as well. You get a LARGE BLURRY FUZZY FITZY shot that YOU CAN'T CHOOSE THE CROP OF!

Most Canon's allow you to turn OFF the digital zoom. I suggest you RUN to your camera and turn it OFF NOW!

And, as mentioned, the type of camera you have (a non-digital SLR) does NOT like anything much above ISO 200. It will kind of do okay with ISO 400 but even there you'll start seeing weird multi-coloured grain in the image. (you can buy excellent software for this; I use Noise Ninja - but for now just set your camera at ISO 100 or 200 and leave it at that.

Also - do NOT take pictures of cute dogs EVER AGAIN!!! The world already has FAR TOO MANY cue dog PHOTOS and will never require a new one. Wink

Also, no matter what the camera, if you are shooting in anything but bright light GET A TRIPOD and use the SELF-TIMER to set off the camera so your ENTHUSIASTIC FINGER JABBING doesn't jiggle the camera. You'll find a very simple cheap tripod a VERY GOOD FRIEND over the years.

Good Luck - hope you have lots of fun learning about this stuff - it can be VERY FULFILLING!! Very Happy

I shut off the digital zoom lastnight, haha. Smile But, but, it was my neighbors dog and he didn't have any pics of her so I took one and gave it to him Smile

Thanks, much appreciated. Smile

cherylm329

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:08 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
also, if you're serious about this, get a serious camera, the new Nikon i suggest the D40 is great to start.

Apparently, I thought I did buy a serious camera when I spent $400 on this one. I did my research and this camera at the time of purchase had good ratings and user reviews. Guess not as good as it could be. Smile

cherylm329

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:09 am   Reply with quote         

L@rue wrote:
Here one shot I took 2 years ago, the distance bettween me and the bird house = 10 0r 12 meters
full zoom open, tripod and top speed shot setting
I know it is not a professional result but hey I have a cheap Cam (Sony CyberShot)
325$

Such a great shot, sucks it lost quality. Thanks!

ReinMan

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:13 am   Reply with quote         

cherylm329 wrote:
supak0ma wrote:

Apparently, I thought I did buy a serious camera when I spent $400 on this one. I did my research and this camera at the time of purchase had good ratings and user reviews. Guess not as good as it could be. Smile

You DO have a good camera. There are better cameras out there and there are a LOT WORSE.

The Real Truth of this particular matter is that you are starting on a road that is very long, very winding, and potentially very satisfying! I have seen BRILLIANT photos taken with a POS (piece of shite) $10 cardboard box camera, and I've seen dudes with $3000 Fancy Schmancy cameras that take nothing but RSPs (real shitty pictures).

Practice! That is the BEST benefit of digital: shoot yer arse off... keep going. Go to your library and start reading books. There is a reason people pay us photogs $100 an hour or more to take images for them. Sure, some of it (not in my case, of course) is talent. Some of it is craft and technique. And at the end of it the actual camera helps the previous items.

At the end of the day, educate yourself (as you've started doing by asking questions here) and never EVER say you've got it all figured out - that is the BEST way to stop learning. Very Happy
(I have come to find that this is true for anything in Life! Wink )

PS: As SuperKomaMan sez, the Nikon D40 is a good value for a digital SLR. I personally have been using Canon for the last 1/2 decade and love them (I'd suggest the digital Rebel). Again, they will both take you to the edge of what excellent digital photography can be all aboot!

supak0ma

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:37 am   Reply with quote         

sorry, i might sound as a fundamentalist REINDUDE, but anything that has a built in lens to me is a toy Smile

ReinMan

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:23 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
sorry, i might sound as a fundamentalist REINDUDE, but anything that has a built in lens to me is a toy Smile

I get your drift on that my friend.... and tend to agree. Its just that some toys can do the work of tools if creatively applied. Wink

I just wanted to give some encouragement with the camera they already have - and not CRUSH THEIR SPIRIT telling them about what they DON'T have. Cool

supak0ma

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:06 pm   Reply with quote         

maybe i'm just in a bad mood today Razz

ReinMan

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Just TODAY?

Twisted Evil

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:12 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:

I use a Canon D20, which cost me about $2800 when all was said and done (about 1 1/2 years ago)

I love it and only wish I could afford the D5!

other than the zoom thing... You also mentioned you shoot in dark situations... just this alone can increase noise. It's almost like film cameras... if you need to shoot in a dark situation, you use 1600 ISO film, but it is grainier. If you change your ISO on your digital camera, the image will have more noise. Going to a better camera will help that some!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Photography Question? - Reply to topic