Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Where are you guys? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Do we?

Yes!!!!! Agreed, we NEED more competition

70%

70%

[ 17 ]

Aw.. screw it! We have a lot of competiton these days

12%

12%

[ 3 ]

Alright, I'll post something.. argh

16%

16%

[ 4 ]

Total Votes: 24

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon May 18, 2009 12:12 am   Reply with quote         

It's called the Team Challenge and can easily be started once the H2H is over.
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=10589&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Post Mon May 18, 2009 12:21 am   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
It's called the Team Challenge and can easily be started once the H2H is over.
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=10589&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Cool..... maybe I should get off my ass and help???

nat_g31

Post Mon May 18, 2009 12:27 am   Reply with quote         

Did someone say team chop???

Can I pick teams? I think we should team up all the rivals together! Now that would be fun!

“I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven, when I awoke I spent that on a necklace.”~~~ Kanye West
Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon May 18, 2009 12:38 am   Reply with quote         

nat_g31 wrote:
Did someone say team chop???

Can I pick teams? I think we should team up all the rivals together! Now that would be fun!

I hope you're being sarcastic, Nathan. Some good friendships have been developed through the Team Challenge.

Maybe you need to see Rey about the ChopperDome re: rivals? Very Happy

Post Mon May 18, 2009 1:34 am   Reply with quote         

rockyjob wrote:

Wait just a sec people, we don't want this thread to go insane again right? Yes blue is seemingly angry and doesn't need to insult you for having an idea, and that was rude of him for doing so... but don't let it get personal or ugly.. let's keep this under control ok?

One thing I want to clear up here, I was not angry but frustrated and I did not insult anyone all I did was try and get you guys to take some ownership of this place, you guys have been here a short time and have no idea of the history of this place, your choice I know.

Ideas are great even better if people act on them, and here lies the problem. No one now days wants to act on the ideas take the effort to get the ball rolling, those that do like myself, splodge, eve, Tutorme, Scionshade, supak and a few others are getting tired of doing it all the time, I beleive its time some of the New Crew, (Not being judgemental here its a good nickname that I hope is not insulting) stepped up and put some thing back into PSC.

Take a look at the contests and you will find that people like myself and Supa, Al, arco and a few others are still entering a contest every now and then how did you think your first statement made us feel like. What we are not good enough to compete against you. Stop looking for what we should dos and bloody do.

We over look all the good work that gets done here by accepting it for granted. When people start threads about no competition in the contests, or vote this or why don't we do this I get frustrated, because 9 times out of 10 that's all that happens no one acts on it.

On that note Im out of here for a while, the forum is not a fun place to be any more.

bigbuck

Post Mon May 18, 2009 2:13 am   Reply with quote         

When I joined early 2006, there was a heavy 'learning' emphasis around the place. The quality of chops was great and so was the level of participation.
I got tonnes of help too. Lots of constructive criticism, blunt criticism and plenty of PMs from the big guns offering really good advice on how to improve.
This was the stuff that was invaluable to me!
Now I have to agree with Blurks here, that we seem to have lost that feel to the place. Some people seem to get their 'nose out of joint' when a bit of constructive criticism is offered. People are now picking up 25-30 votes for some pretty ordinary cut/paste work, and while this continues, there's probably not going to be much improvement in the overall quality of work on the site.
I enjoyed the feel of the place a couple of years ago. People went out of their way to offer help and advice. The forums had a lot of helpful stuff in them and there seemed to be a real 'learning culture' going on.
I think we've largely lost this and it saddens me.
I think the current culture is probably driving people away rather than encouraging them to stay, learn, and improve.

kinetic_be

Post Mon May 18, 2009 3:02 am   Reply with quote         

bigbuck wrote:
People are now picking up 25-30 votes for some pretty ordinary cut/paste work, and while this continues, there's probably not going to be much improvement in the overall quality of work on the site.

You said what I was thinking when this topic started.
I could be wrong, but I think what you said there is exactly one of the major causes.

But that's just thinking...

when I have to speak for myself; I've never been part of the 'old-school gang', even though I joined here in 2003. It's only in january 2008 that I got to know Photoshop, PSC and it's members and I noticed that in one year, a LOT has changed. Not only do I miss some very good choppers who chopped regulary, I also noticed that the quality of the daily chops have gone downhill in a serious matter.
I'm sorry if I offend someone by saying this, but I am including myself aswell here. I do like to chop, and I do like to participate from time to time, but I really can't find inspiration to put in some effort to chop something nice for PSC, even though I want to.
A year ago, things were different for me.. Before participating, I knew that if I wanted to score, I had to make something wow-like to get noticed.. these days, I often see chops in the top 5 which would get a handfull of votes in the past, if not a lot of comments on how to improve their chop.

And it was exactly that which worked as a stimulans for people to get better and better.

At the other hand, I'm glad there are still new people coming who give the best of themselves every day or every now and then to improve, to learn and to bring some quality to the contests. It's inspiring and hopefully I'll find that inspiration too again.

Let me explain it with a little story of me:
In real life, I play competition in a board-game (live and online)
I go to tournaments such as European Grand Prix and I participated in the World Championships in 2004.
Before I got there, I played every time with average players until I was at their level. I didn't improve, nore did they, because we reached the peek of our capabilities.
After I while, I moved on to another website and met people who played live in tournaments so they invited me to start practicing with them. So I did.. and after some weeks, I became better then the average group I used to play with.
And so on and so on until I reached a level in where I can compete with the best players out there.
My point is, and this used to be my golden rule when practicing the game: "Play with the best and become better then the rest".

Why am I saying this? Well, I see a lot of similarity and I do believe that when you compete with very good choppers every day, your skills will vastly improve because you want to 'compete' with them on an equal level and not being too much disadvantaged.

(These are just my thoughts on how I see it)

ReyRey

Post Mon May 18, 2009 8:24 am   Reply with quote         

Todays newbies are tomorrows big guns. If there is a person who's talents you appreciate but they are not around anymore, Then PM them and tell them. Make them feel wanted. Ask for some advice. Do a tribute image to them. Yer Pal Al had been gone for a while. He told me one day he decided to check out the site and he saw one of my images. He liked it so much that it made him come back. It made me feel very proud. So besides PMing them, you can improve your own skills. Take criticism and use it to improve. Have a harder shell and stop being so damn sensitive. Stop all the drama and STFUAC!! Really. Have fun. Play games, make jokes, but most of all LEARN!! Make this place the best it could be. When you look back in a few years, you can say, "I helped to make it what it is today", and be proud. Newbies will be calling you for advice. So,everybody Pm a friend today. Tell them "we would all like to see them back. We want to make this site better and it would be better with them here". Do it! They will come. Wink
Let's make a list of names here that you would like to see return and then we will all PM them and let them know how we feel. What do you say? Wink

ReyRey

Post Mon May 18, 2009 8:33 am   Reply with quote         

Official "We want you back" list
These are just random names. They are in no order of importance. Except for Scion.
Scion Shade!!! Wink Laughing
Showcase
Stevester
Metalic
Volkswes
Jasper
Vlad
BadCop
Goat1981
VuntVanPumununt
Doodler
Hellraiser
Serious
Feral Hampster
Sage
Delucx
The Burning Couch
We would also like to see our talented Mods do a little choppin' too. Wink Please.

Please copy and paste this list and add names.
Then we will pick a day that we will all pm these folks and tell
them we would like them to come back.

Just an idea. You can tell me to shut the fuck up at anytime. Wink

Cartoon Contractor

Post Mon May 18, 2009 8:50 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
These are just random names. They are in no order of importance. Except for Scion.
Stevester
Metalic
Volkswes
Jasper
Vlad
BadCop
Goat1981
VuntVanPumununt
Doodler
Hellraiser
Serious
Feral Hampster
Sage
Delucx
The Burning Couch
We would also like to see our talented Mods do a little choppin' too. Wink Please.

Great idea Rey! (Even though I don't know half these people Laughing ) Would love to learn from the Veterans! I'm in awe when the "Big Dogs" chop! That "how'd they do that?" is what I want to see. Thats how one learns!

kinetic_be

Post Mon May 18, 2009 8:51 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
Stevester
Metalic
Volkswes
Jasper
Vlad
BadCop
Goat1981
VuntVanPumununt
Doodler
Hellraiser
Serious
Feral Hampster
Sage
Delucx
The Burning Couch

Can we add Julie to the list? To show how it's NOT be done? (you know... as an example)

Laughing

Post Mon May 18, 2009 10:48 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
Showcase
Stevester
Metalic
Volkswes
Jasper
Vlad
BadCop
Goat1981
VuntVanPumununt
Doodler
Hellraiser
Serious
Feral Hampster
Sage
Delucx
The Burning Couch

Marco B
mellow design
<Salvezza ( i miss here )
Mira
NGSP
gO'Spawn ( portugall)
Nunosk8 ( portugal )
Milhay-myxz
Infected
less than zero
JW

ReyRey

Post Mon May 18, 2009 11:22 am   Reply with quote         

Scion Shade!!!
Showcase
Stevester
Metalic
Volkswes
Jasper
Vlad
BadCop
Goat1981
VuntVanPumununt
Doodler
Hellraiser
Serious
Feral Hampster
Sage
Delucx
The Burning Couch Marco B
mellow design
Mira
NGSP
gO'Spawn ( portugall)
Nunosk8 ( portugal )
Milhay-myxz
Infected
less than zero
JW

YerPalAl

Post Mon May 18, 2009 11:26 am   Reply with quote         

Scion Shade!!!
Showcase
Stevester
Metalic
Volkswes
Jasper
Vlad
BadCop
Goat1981
VuntVanPumununt
Doodler
Hellraiser
Serious
Feral Hampster
Sage
Delucx
The Burning Couch Marco B
mellow design
Mira
NGSP
gO'Spawn ( portugall)
Nunosk8 ( portugal )
Milhay-myxz
Infected
less than zero
JW
Square
Irishstu
NShadows

blue_lurker

Post Mon May 18, 2009 11:33 am   Reply with quote         

chrispis
occecid
bluefist
Wett
thbeghin

Some great talent and good teachers in that list

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Where are you guys? - Reply to topic