Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - AVATAR - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:13 pm   Reply with quote         

That's what I'm sayin'! Laughing

... and it's all throughout the movie when the Na'vi speak the subtitles are in Papyrus... in your face in stunning 3D!!! Argh

DaVinci

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:00 am   Reply with quote         

After 2 times of planning to go, but 2 times of canceling...I finally saw Avatar 3D yesterday! (better late than never right?) And...uhm...it was pretty cool...ok, ok, it ROCKED! The 3D part I mean, the story is uhm "ok" I guess! smurf

They also showed the Shrek 3D trailer, looks like fun in 3D

3D rocks!

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:14 am   Reply with quote         

Okay. Finally saw this movie. Am I seriously the only person on the planet that didn't like this movie?!?

The plot was a pedestrian cowboys-and-indian mixed with a "big corporations are evil" subtheme.

And "unobtanium"!?!?! UNOBTANIUM!?!?! What kinda hack writer comes up with a name like that for a very rare mineral?!?! Might as well have called it "Cantgetium" or "Reallyrarium". Stupid name.

Another issue I had? Well the drill sergeant guy talks about how the Na'vi have natural carbon fiber skeletons that make them incredibly strong and hard to kill. But then that's basically forgotten for the rest of the movie. Why not take the battle mech and try to bend one of the Na'vi to see if they don't break? Pfft.

Stupid movie and I'm glad I didn't pay to watch it in the theater.

OH! And apparently James Cameron may have lifted some elements from a video game. Check this out.
Quote:
Contributed by Silverblade (1430) on May 13, 2005.

One of director James Cameron's pet projects after Titanic was an epic sci-fi extravaganza called Avatar, much hyped in Hollywood circles at the time and poised to redefine the notion of a truly alien world on the big screen.

The project fell apart some years ago, but the scriptment (a hybrid between a script and a treatment ) by James Cameron still exists. Interestingly, you can find quite a few similarities between it and Unreal:

* Both feature a basic plot premise where, by virtue of circumstances mostly beyond his control, a reluctant hero becomes the saviour of the native race of an alien planet forced to mine their land for ore of utmost importance to an invading race coming from the skies. In both cases the saviour is seen by the natives as someone who also came from the skies and is thus initially met with some alarm or distrust only to be later hailed as a pseudo-messiah.

* The native race is called "Na'vi" in Avatar and "Nali" in Unreal. The physical description of the Na'vi by Cameron can be visualised as basically a cross between the Nalis' tall, lean, slender bodies and the IceSkaarjs' blueish skin colour patterns, facial features, ponytail-like dreadlocks and caudal appendages.

* The Nali in Unreal worship goddess Vandora. The home planet of the Na'vi in Avatar (which the Na'vi worship as a goddess entity) is named Pandora.

* In Avatar, one of the most dazzling alien settings described is a huge set of sky mountains, "like floating islands among the clouds". One of the most memorable vistas in Unreal is Na Pali, thousands of miles up in the cloudy sky amidst a host of floating mountains. The main sky mountain range in Avatar is called "Hallelujah Mountains". The main Unreal level set in Na Pali is called "Na Pali Haven". Both include beautiful visual references to waterfalls streaming down the cliffs and dissolving into the clouds below.

* The Earth ship in Avatar is called "ISV-Prometheus". One of the levels in Unreal takes place in the wreck of a Terran ship called "ISV-Kran". Even more striking, in the expansion pack Return to Na Pali, the crashed ship the player is asked to salvage is called "Prometheus".

* One of the deadly examples of local fauna in Unreal is the Manta, essentially a flying manta-ray. In Avatar, one of the most lethal aerial creatures is the Bansheeray, basically a flying manta-ray. The expansion Return to Na Pali even features a Giant Manta, while in Avatar one of the most formidable predators is a giant Bansheeray, which Cameron dubbed "Great Leonopteryx".

* In the two stories (especially Return to Na Pali, on Unreal's end), a plot point arises from the fact the precious ore behind the invasion of the planet ("tarydium" in Unreal, "unobtanium" in Avatar) causes problems in the scanners.

Unreal was in development for several years before its release in 1998. The Avatar scriptment was probably finished as early as 1996-97. Bearing all the above in mind the temptation to start wondering about further suspicious parallels may be quite strong, but in spite of these similarities both titles have few else in common and many aspects actually veer off in wildly different directions. Even so, the coinciding factors can make for an interesting minutia comparison.

ReinMan

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:19 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Okay. Finally saw this movie. Am I seriously the only person on the planet that didn't like this movie?!?
Yes. Cool

(and you seem to have missed some of the satirical points in the movie. Sorry... I must insert the classic EYE ROLL emoticon here now. Rolling Eyes )

DaVinci

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:12 am   Reply with quote         

I liked the part where the blue man light up a torch on the planet where they don't have oxygen Laughing no? not funny? Shocked ok! Wink

arcaico

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:35 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

No. It´s pretty much a crappy movie for me too.

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

VillageBicycle

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:36 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

No.

There are some who dislike and criticize it similar to how you have done. Cameron is now criticized much like Spielberg. A quote that has been floating around since avatar came out is: "Cameron has out-Spielberged Spielberg"

I am a 3rd year Film Production Student. After many discussions with my teachers and faculty, most of them have said they dislike it and say the same thing: "I am glad i didn't pay to see this movie." after seeing it online or by other means or not seeing at all because of a bias against blockbusters.

The only element that is weak IMO is the dialogue, like "unobtainium" or when Sigouney Weaver gets out of the pod and asertively yells out "who has my cigarette" it just seemed out of place and unnatural. But the fact is Cameron, like Spielberg, has developed a formula or a code for making movies -- A guaranteed success every time. (backed by their celebrity name and reputation). It involves every aspect of film making, writing, casting, special effects, editing, marketing etc...

As you break each of them down, they are perfectly mastered for example writing the story has every possible element to it so it catches you, and keeps you interested. It has intrigue, suspense, ellipsis, plot twists, love story and the list goes on. Not to mention the environmental consciousness sub-story that is ever so increasingly prevalent and in the public interest. (anyone seen Collapse? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1503769/ Its an "in the now" type of documentary movie. a very scary thought)

Even if you have great foresight and can guess every part of the story before it happens, there is the cutting edge special effects, another Cameron trademark. Every new film he does pushes the boundaries to keep it fresh visually every time (Terminator, The Abyss). You have to admit, those over sized catlike eyes draw even the biggest haters in (even if they deny it). The over sized eyes are often seen in Japanese anime, an old technique drawing on the natural attraction of youth and beauty.

Anyhow, I won't go into detail as this is already way to long but the elements in this film are done to Cameron's formula, and that code is designed to please the masses.

Just like the PC/Bill Gates haters, there may be some that dislike it but not many.

blue_lurker

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:00 am   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

No. It´s pretty much a crappy movie for me too.

Im with these guys very disappointed Thumb down Thumb down Thumb down

VillageBicycle

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:05 pm   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Im with these guys very disappointed Thumb down Thumb down Thumb down

very disappointed ... ? That's it?

I was hoping to hear a reason or something to enlighten us why. Maybe it was over hyped and failed to meet your expectations, similar to me when I read your post Razz

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:58 pm   Reply with quote         

I saw it in January. In 3D. I wasn't disappointed.
There was nothing to expect more than what I saw. I never being much impressed by Cameron work.
I was expecting beautiful scenes with a stupid story. And that's exactly what I get.
Smile

bigbuck

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:07 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

the burning couch

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
I saw it in January. In 3D. I wasn't disappointed.
There was nothing to expect more than what I saw. I never being much impressed by Cameron work.
I was expecting beautiful scenes with a stupid story. And that's exactly what I get.
Smile

Yep....ditto that.
In the end..you can't really expect much "heady" material from a Cameron film. He is an admitted Hollywood filmmaker. Myself, I don't care for many of his movies...but he is damn good at make'n a blockbuster that you don't need to think about...just watch.

*!*

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah Avatar was ok....but wow it is almost as overrated as Titanic. I liked Avatar more than Titanic but neither or them deserve to be #1 and #2 highest grossing films of all time!

James Cameron was better in the Late 80's - Mid 90's (Aliens, Terminator 2, True Lies) because they actually had interesting and unique stories! Titanic made me roll my eyes with complete disbelief and made me fall asleep with how drawn out it is...while Avatar is Pocahontas on a different planet.

Go out and watch the REAL best movie of 2009, District 9! Completely original story that flips the whole genre on its head!

Of the 5 highest grossing films in the world...I approve of Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mans Chest but NOT friggen Titanic and Avatar.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - AVATAR - Reply to topic