Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - This Spam Thing - Reply to topic

blue_lurker

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:14 am   Reply with quote         

Ok I know we have of late had a few forum spam things, you know the new member saying hello and wanting to be a part of this community thing.

Well I don't get it?
What do they get from this type of thing? They have to go thru the joining section of PSC have a valid email address and all the other stuff like a nickname and password. So it is either a very got Spambot or a person doing this. I guess I will just ask some questions here and see what answers I get.

1. Whats in it for them, what do they get from this type of spam?
2. Is it a bot or a real person? If it is a bot how the hell does it answer the questions in joining?
3. Why here? (I visit a few other sites and they don't have this problem in there forum, yet the are very small sites.)
4. What can we do about stopping this type of spam? (It must be hard due to the fact it could be an honest new member not just spam)
5. How does it effect you? (I'm not all that worried about it more curious than any thing else)
6. Other than the link in there signature, (and who's going to click that) what are they advertising or selling or getting out of this?
7. Why are midgets so cute when they dress up in animal costumes?

Well that sums it up from me, feel free to answer or make fun of my questions, (God knows I would).....

Play Nice
Have Fun
Forum Later

Blurker

Oscar

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:21 am   Reply with quote         

1. Money
2. Bot, forums like this use a common system of registration that can be easily programed and used for spam bots.
3. Pretty much anywhere where they think profits can be made.
4. captcha at the registration.
5. It looks bad in the front page, there hasn't been any xxx spam threads lately but sure they look bad in the FP.
6. Unfortunately this people base their ideology on the fact that out of 1000 spam bots ( threads posted here or other forums ) someone is eventually going to click, with this being said do some math and at the end of the month you will have thousands of people clicking on those links worldwide .
7. Why are midgets so cute when they dress up in animal costumes?
you sure love midgets

Tesore

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:37 am   Reply with quote         

What we need is an Anti-Spam-A-Team!

It's always about money BL Wink

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:39 am   Reply with quote         

one reason for the link in the sig is search engine traffic..

google uses links to a site as references.. the more links a site has leading to it, the better the site must be.. = higher ranks, and more traffic. higher search engine placement at the expense of us. (our annoyance)

It dont matter if anyone click the links.. google indexes it and uses that for relevance.... so they dont care if you click it.

plus, there is always a chance that sig might be clicked by someone and possibly used.. the people who make these bots know that most will get deleted.. but they dont care.. they just run it again.. and again and again... .

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:06 am   Reply with quote         

plus we've got to be on the top 100 sites on their spam weblists. And I don't see an opt-out button anywhere.

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:49 pm   Reply with quote         

you want to know a real dirty trick they do that cnt be stopped at all???

They start sending email in your name and email address.
reply to: your email address

subject.. 10% off

body

Buy VI@GR4 only 2.00 a piII (spelled p i capitol I I)

i had a bunch of peeps started hounding me "why are you sending this"
then I got one myself... I looked for answers.. I looked in the header of the email, found the domain in the smtp.

I sent 500 emails an hour for several hours to that email address listed in the whois info.
for a good bit after that it stopped, but then it started again..
then it happened to my other business email..

i went and read where this was happeneding to a lot of businesses..

best recourse.. set an auto reply to the people that you have a new address. the ones from the scammer will bounce back to your own email. the pissed off people get an email....
Ohhh, ok" then your good to go again.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - This Spam Thing - Reply to topic