Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Pretty interesting - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ShootHerman

Post Fri May 29, 2020 9:15 am   Reply with quote         

Todays anonymous contest:

None of the top 5 in the contest has given 1 (one) vote in the contest. Not one.
I really dont care, because I knew before the contest that my image was to screwed, that I did not have any chance to win.
And now I will not have time to chop. Anyway, good luck with the chopping guys, eh, and the voting....

And please, dont tell me you at the top 5, that there isnt anything good images in the contest that deserves votes....
I think its to much "selfishness" (is that the right word?) in here.... IMO.

Post Fri May 29, 2020 11:11 am   Reply with quote         

Well I've not been here long but that's usual with the $50 contests, isnt't it? makes you selfish indeed, except sometimes when you're sure you won't win... Seems that we're all the same except you... Congrats Shocked Wink
Let's say the voters are those who don't play or those who know they missed... Crying or Very sad

DaVinci

Post Fri May 29, 2020 11:15 am   Reply with quote         

Yeah I think it's because of the money contest, $50 is $50 right Wink

ShootHerman

Post Fri May 29, 2020 12:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Zizounai wrote:
Well I've not been here long but that's usual with the $50 contests, isnt't it? makes you selfish indeed, except sometimes when you're sure you won't win... Seems that we're all the same except you... Congrats Shocked Wink
Let's say the voters are those who don't play or those who know they missed... Crying or Very sad

I really dont need any congrats for voting.
I just think its very sad, the whole thing.
It wasnt normal NOT to vote on the other images before. Because of lack of activity on this site the last years it has been normal. And that is sooooooo f....ing sad.

Post Fri May 29, 2020 5:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Is it just me?

Please, can some of the old members (older than me) in here, say something?

Post Fri May 29, 2020 6:01 pm   Reply with quote         

well Geir way back I used to always vote fairly on the prize comps until the voting tendency started changing and I got the short end of the stick a few times by others who did not vote for mine and I voted for theirs.I got shafted for some prize comps and as they say once bitten twice shy,so now I play as the rest,...not voting for other good contenders or sometimes not at all,but I emphasize this point when one has a chance of winning the comp.When you know you don't have a contender it doesn't really matter.I think this tendency began when the participation started going right down.I mean when you had 40 o 50 entries it was not a risk to vote because there were always lots of other voters to balance things out in case a few didn't,but now that you have maybe 10 or 15 entries,10 votes wins a contest and the difference between winning and loosing is decided by a vote or two then when you have a good chop that is a fair contender,voting for your opponent and him not voting for yours is like shooting yourself in the foot.You loose by the one vote you gave your oppenent when they didn't vote for you.That's not a good feeling.It actually makes you feel like shit.So when it happens a few times then next time you have a contending chop you think twice about voting for other good entries just in case the other contending entries dont vote for yours.That in a nutshell is the "once bitten twice shy" dynamics that has taken hold on these prize comps.What is the solution ? Well maybe making it obligatory for all members that enter in a contest to vote for all the other entries in that comp,good or bad.That way the winner is still decided by the other voting members that don't enter in the comp. but the number of total votes goes way up and you dont feel guilty for not voting for the other entries.I like you wish it was the way it used to be but what can I say, I'm not a masochist.
Take this week's comp as an example... If I would have voted for Z we would have tied on votes but she would have won for entering first.Now I had a feeling that was her chop,since I kinda know her style a bit now.I knew she didn't vote for me (as I can see my votes) so I played it smart and didn't vote for her's (even though I liked it and thought it was voteworthy).Do I feel bad well not really because I think mine is also good and she didn't vote for mine so no hard feelings.Now if she had voted for mine (and this I've done in other prize comps,just ask genesis) I would have returned the favor for sure and voted for hers...such is the sad state of affairs that has taken over the prize contests,what can I say
study

ShootHerman

Post Fri May 29, 2020 6:24 pm   Reply with quote         

What is the solution ? Well maybe making it obligatory for all members that enter in a contest to vote for all the other entries in that comp,good or bad.That way the winner is still decided by the other voting members that don't enter in the comp.

Thx for your feedback Luis. Yeah, you are a older member and yeah, I even think you are older than me.😂
What you wrote, is NOT the solution. You dont have to vote for all the images in the contest. And that is not my point. Every good chopper can see a good and a bad chop. Give a good chop a vote! Give it a vote! Thats the point.

You said it: its lack of people joining the contests, and the new members learn to vote this way. Be selfish. Dont vote for the other images or I will not win the contest. Yeah, thats the problem. Zizounai said it, herself.

PSC.com is in a bad circle. Its easy to earn 50$ every friday, if you are a good chopper. And there are a bunch of good choopers in here. There are. I just think its sooooooo fu....ing bad to see it ends up like this.

Post Fri May 29, 2020 6:55 pm   Reply with quote         

If you want some old members to comment I guess I qualify. When I first joined many years ago you only had a few votes to give out and there were a lot of entries. This made you really study the entries to be sure of your choices. Then later, voting changed and you had many to give. This brought out a few voting styles such as the people who...
1) Vote for a lot of entries... Some folks feel that if you took the time to make an entry you deserve a vote.
2) Vote for a few... These voters choose what they believe are good entries that combine a good idea and solid execution. This is how I try to vote.
3) Vote for a few, but with strategy involved...These folks play the games that make you angry.
4) Hardly ever vote...Over the years there were some really good choppers who hardly ever voted, only voting for outstanding chops. When I got a vote from one of these people it meant something to me.

The real bottom line always seemed to me to be this...
Do the best chop you can. (If someone can't recognize your brilliance it's their loss!...haha). Study the chops that win and try to see why they are better. Don't worry about the votes. Getting a few votes on a silly photoshop site is not a very important thing. Laugh if you give a vote to a competitor and they never vote for you. If you think their chop was worth it, you were true to yourself.

YerPalAl

Post Fri May 29, 2020 7:01 pm   Reply with quote         

OK, I have had my nose out of joint a couple of times at the voting here. At one point I was in the lead in a contest by one point and voted for the second place entry.

It was good enough that it deserved a vote.

Due to him uploading his entry earlier than I did that put him in first place. A competitor with character would have done the right thing and voted for mine as well. (Yeah, it was a good chop too), but he didn't. He took first and I finished second. So that made me curious and I check back and what do you know . . . . . that guy has never given a single vote to any of my entries.

Not. One. Vote.

So,yeah, the voting is pretty screwed but in truth there has always been complaints about the voting here. But back in the day when a winning chop got 40 - 80 votes it wasn't as evident as it is now, the ones who don't vote much or at all stand out more now due t the small numbers.

ShootHerman

Post Sat May 30, 2020 2:11 am   Reply with quote         

Yeah, there are all kind of stories out there, regarding voting. I know yeralpal.

I think this is well written of you Gort:

The real bottom line always seemed to me to be this...
Do the best chop you can. (If someone can't recognize your brilliance it's their loss!...haha). Study the chops that win and try to see why they are better. Don't worry about the votes. Getting a few votes on a silly photoshop site is not a very important thing. Laugh if you give a vote to a competitor and they never vote for you. If you think their chop was worth it, you were true to yourself.

Silly Photoshop site? Hey, I do no agree. Its photoshopcontest.com 😉 Not silly.com 😁👍🏻

Post Sat May 30, 2020 5:28 am   Reply with quote         

Yes, what Gort wrote is brilliant.

Wouldn't it be possible to organise the votes in a different way (as there are not so many participants) by giving a note from 1 to 10 for example? I would prefer it this way so much. Am I the only one?

Papchap

Post Sat May 30, 2020 6:10 am   Reply with quote         

Zizounai wrote:
Yes, what Gort wrote is brilliant.

Wouldn't it be possible to organise the votes in a different way (as there are not so many participants) by giving a note from 1 to 10 for example? I would prefer it this way so much. Am I the only one?

I agree. We need to change the system somehow. What do you mean by a note?

I was thinking that since in the old days there was a vote to entry ratio of about 5:16 (25:80) we could make it so that people only could vote for 5 out of 16 entries in every contest and there would be no fixed maximum number of votes. Then votes would mean something.

Post Sat May 30, 2020 7:40 am   Reply with quote         

Yep sorry the word is not "note" (sorry I'm French Wink ) but a "mark", a "rating", a "grade" between 1 and 10.
It would allow to qualify our appreciation with more nuances.

Luxwiz

Post Sat May 30, 2020 10:44 am   Reply with quote         

Geir I thought your post here was reffering to the voting in the prize contests so what I wrote above was pertaining to them.The other members comments seem to be opinions about voting in general and that topic has already been rehashed to kingdom come here for years...So people how about some other opinions about the voting in prize contests and why its become "selfish" as Geir says,which is what this post is about...

Zizounai

Post Sat May 30, 2020 11:13 am   Reply with quote         

I was not from this world in kingdom years, so I would like to get a reply to my proposal. It has something to do with selfish votings, as it would be easier to give a mark to an average chop instead of not voting at all, and to give a good appreaciation to a chop we really like.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Pretty interesting - Reply to topic